WUMC Update, July 24, 2017
July 30: Eighth Sunday of Pentecost
10:00 AM – Worship
11:15 AM – Program Team Meeting
For Your Calendar
- July 30 – Program Team Meeting
- August 27 – All Church Picnic
- September 10 – Welcome Sunday
- September 22-24 – Retreat at Indianola
Seeking Creatives, Theologians, Worship Planners, & WUMC Enthusiasts
Here’s a message from Pastor Ann looking for help with special worship services.
- 100th Anniversary Team: This team is for folks who would like to help us celebrate our 100th anniversary of incorporation in this state (November 15, 1917). It would be fun to celebrate our anniversary as part of our Thanksgiving worship service and potluck on Sunday, November 19. I know WUMC already commemorated its 100th birthday (the church was charted on Easter in 1912), but why not celebrate when the chance arises? (And the state sent us a nice certificate!) Some in the congregation were not here for the centenary, and there are many who don’t really remember much of the details. When churches are closing around us, I say let’s do whatever we can to rejoice in our active community, strengthen as a people, and be joyful!
- Reformation Celebration Team: This is the team for folks who are history or theology buffs. We will be celebrating the 500th anniversary of the Reformation and its instigator, Martin Luther, at a special worship service on October 29 (Reformation Day is traditionally celebrated October 31). It happens to be a 5th Sunday, so just about anything goes for worship planning creativity!
Laura Thorne at SAM
Celebrate Laura and her work.
The Seattle Art Museum presents Panoramic Present, an exhibition of new work by Laura Thorne. Laura’s artwork explores optical expressions of evocative experiences with form and color, where what appears is shaped by what disappears. With painting, she seeks to capture the paradox of a moment that feels both in and outside of time, and can be sensed through seeing. Panoramic Present will show at SAM from July 5-26, and the formal opening is on July 6 from 6:00-7:30PM. Check out information on the opening here, and general information on Panoramic Present here. Congratulations, Laura!
North End Pub Theology
Spend your summer nights talking superheroes over drinks.
- August 2: Antiheroes
- August 16: Are We the Baddies?
- August 30: Picnic & Fall Planning
All Pub Theology gatherings take place at Maritime Pacific Brewing Co. in Frelard from 8:00-9:30PM. All are welcome. Stay up to date with Pub Theology on Facebook and contact Melanie Wienecke with any questions.
All Church Retreat – Save the Date!
You won’t want to miss this time to get away with your church family.
Save the date! The All Church Retreat will be on September 22-24. We will once again journey to Camp Indianola for fellowship, worship, and lots of fun. And, good news – some of our friends from Guarjila will be coming with us! So go ahead and mark your calendars and look for more details soon.
Attend this unique conference or support those who are going.
“Rooted” is a conference from the Reconciling Ministries Network for trans and gender-expansive Christians taking place this August 11-13 in Chicago. This conference is “a retreat for trans and gender-expansive Christians meant to rest and revive our souls while we draw spiritual inspiration and practical tools to develop our leadership in the world… We will celebrate ourselves, our stories, and our community.” There will be opportunities for worship, networking, practical leadership training, and spiritual formation at this conference. “Rooted” will be facilitated by J Mase III, a Seattle-based Black/trans/queer poet and educator, and Rev. Erin K. Swenson, the first known mainstream minister to transition from male to female while remaining in ordained office. Organizers have asked that allies refrain from attending “Rooted” given that this is a rare opportunity for trans and gender-expansive people to gather. However, allies are invited to contribute to the scholarship fund for attendees. Registration is $100 (not including room and board). Full and partial scholarships are available. Find out full information and register online here.